Friday, July 24, 2009

This parenting stuff is hard!

Lately, I am having a hard time with the girls. It seems like no matter what, they just dont listen to me! I can yell and scream at them, or whisper and they dont listen. It drives me crazy! I think our next FHE is going to be on Listening, following directions, saying nice things, and keeping our hands and feet to our selves. (Claire has a scratching/kicking problem, Carlie pushes and hits... lovely huh?) I am looking for a good chore chart to make. Im also going to try out the Glass Jar thing, where you put a marble in when they do something good, and take out marbles when they do something bad. Im sure they will "loose their marbles" often, and Im sure I have already lost all of my marbles!! haha (sorry, I couldnt help myself!)

I've also decided I am going to STOP yelling. I yell so much these days. I sometimes wonder if my neighbors can hear me. If so, thats pretty embarrassing! So, i've gone almost 3 days without yelling. It is SO hard for me!

Does anyone have a good Chore Chart template?? Or any advice/methods on how to make kids listen?!

7 comments:

Melissa Brown said...

Heather, I totally know what you mean. Carter never listens to me. It is crazy you wrote this because I jsut started the jar thing and I made a small chore chart. I googled images like, brush teeth, clean room, make bed, and books. And then I just printed them off to the size I wanted and put them on a large scrapbook paper and drew lines for boxes. I am using those star stickers for him to put in the boxes. Hopefully your girls will understand more. Carter is still a little young, but I am SO SO sick of talking to a wall. Good luck!

Janna said...

I really think these are the BEST chore charts. Totally customizable.

http://www.dltk-cards.com/chart/

Let the girls pick their character out... it'll help. They'll be all excited to do chores!

My kids don't really listen to me either. Doesn't matter what I do... UNLESS they see that I am going to follow through. Honestly, a lot of the time this involves me getting up and walking over to them. Sometimes I have to escort them to their room or physically separate them. Or I have to pick up toys WITH them while giving them step by step directions. But, I get lazy and often don't do this... so I think that's why they don't listen 70% of the time.

P.S. Mine fight a lot... Mason does a lot of wrestling and hitting. Zack does a lot of pinching and grabbing Mason's arms. Zack is super controlling like his mother and it makes a lot of things more difficult at our house than they should be. I was JUST like him as a kid. Still am sometimes. *sigh*

sorry that was an earful. But, I hear ya!

Holly Hoffman Spears said...

OK SERIOUSLY... I JUST PUT A MOVIE ON FOR SONNET AND CAME UPSTAIRS SO I COULD GET AWAY FROM HER. SHE'S BEEN CRAZY TOO!!! SHE DOESN'T LISTEN AT ALL... SHE JUST STARES AT ME AND SMILES. LITTLE STINK! I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M SUPPOSED TO BE DOING EITHER. AND I'VE CAUGHT MYSELF YELLING AT HER... OBVIOUSLY IT DOESN'T DO ANY GOOD AND I ALWAYS FEEL BAD AFTERWARD, BUT SOMEIMES I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT! AHHH! SO, I HAVE NO ADVICE, BUT I DO KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. PARENTING IS LOTS OF FUN! :) HA HA! GOOD LUCK.

Shelise said...

Wow I needed to hear this tonight. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Just this afternoon I had a little yelling match with hudson (more yelling on my part than Hudsons). He was rubbing his hands all over Cannons head when I was nursing him so I told him to go to his room and that he needed to leave us alone while Cannon was eating. (this was only a problem because it was making Cannon not eat) He totally didnt listen to me or Kyle which resulted in me yelling really loud a few times and him yelling "no!" back to me . (total parent temper tantrum, I know) Anyway, I am just so frustrated. Being a parent is SUPER hard. I always feel so bad yelling at him because he's only two but it only happens when I really dont know what else to do. I've yelled so loud before that I wonder if my neighbors can hear too. I dont know if you were serious about that but I am. lol.

Anyway, Tara recommended a book to me that she said she read and LOVED. Its called "123 Magic". She says that it works. You could try getting it and reading it. I am in the middle of reading it right now with Kyle at night before we go to bed.

Good luck!

Chelsea said...

I SO have had the same types of situations!!!! We did a marble jar, it worked great! Just don't make my mistake and do the jar too big, then they loose interest, cause it takes too long to fill. So make it so every 2 to 4 days they will get a "treasure" for filling their jar. (oh, we love our treasure box also! We traded out the Jar for the Treasure box. 99Cent store stuff fills it, and I LOVE that it is cheap and so fun for my kids) I also had to have a "no screaming mom" rule, I found myself shouting, and speaking in the meanest tones. Now that I dont shout, my kids listen really well when I have to-- it freaks them out, and they sometimes cry if I get carried away, so we hardly ever yell. And it helped because my Coco had picked up yelling, so we had to point out how loud we were being. Good job though! It's a bigger learning curve for us parents than the kids!!!

JoAnna Anderson said...

You'll love the SIMPLE MOM website & she has a great template for so many things...her blog is on my blog list. Also, I think it is Staples that sells a huge pack of chore charts (like on a pad) that you can write in their jobs or tasks & it gives you stickers for like 5 bucks +-. Good luck with that...we are on the same road & I'm just plain ol' tired of it all.

familyof4 said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

My hardest struggle is with Taylor not listen as well. Lauren on the other hand is very obedient. Isn't it interesting how each child is so different. I'm going to try the Marble in the Jar idea with Taylor, I really liked that idea. I also so the chore chart and Loved it! Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Also,I have read The Five Love Languages of Children And
123 magic (Tara recommended it to me as well) and thought they really helped! Good Luck!