Thursday, May 03, 2007

What kind of listener are you ?

This past weekend I was in Arizona for a sales training. I learned a lot, but already knew a lot of what was covered. One thing that has really stuck in my mind, is learning to be a better listener.

There are 4 kinds of listeners.
1. The listeners, who really are just ignoring you.
2. The listeners, who pretend to hear what you are saying, but tend to take several mental vacations.
3. The listeners who listen to respond. While you may be telling a story, this listener has stopped fully listening, and is thinking of a story to go along with yours, or to even top your story!
4. The listeners who listen to understand you.

Sadly, I fall in the Listen to Respond section. I dont always do this, but I do find myself thinking of something to say while someone is speaking. Im either thinking of a situation that I have had that would relate, or a solution to the problem that is being presented to me.

So, I am going to put my listening ears on, and stop trying to respond all the time with a story or solution!

2 comments:

Sariah said...

Ooh, this is a good post - it's something I really need to work on. I tend to be in the Listen to Respond section too. :S

Uh... did posting this comment just cause me to "respond" to what you were saying? Hmmm... I'm afraid I have a ways to go. lol

susie said...

Sometimes I'm #1 w/ my kids. Sometimes I'm #2 w/ my hubby.
A lot of the time I'm #3 w/ my friends.
I should really work on being #4 at least a little more often!